Education and Recent Positions
Highlights of My Research Journey
Some Favourite Quotes
- 以一生一世來鑄就的事業，非旁人能理解，寂寞必然，浪漫也必然，因為愛足以遮蔽一切艱辛。如果仍覺艱辛，那就是愛得不夠。 --- 小思
- We’ll get into the same cat fight you got into on Porter, which made a lot of noise but changed things not one bit.
We need to focus on the institution not the individual priests. Practice and policy. Show me the Church manipulated the system
so that these guys wouldn’t have to face charges. Show me they put those same priests back into parishes, time and time again.
Show me this was systemic, that it came from the top down. --- 《Spotlight》, a 2015 movie
- If there is a hard, high wall and an egg that breaks against it, no matter how right the wall or how wrong the egg, I will stand on the side of the egg. --- Haruki Murakami in his Jerusalem prize 2009 acceptance speech. More of the speech:
And each of us, to a greater or lesser degree, is confronting a high, solid wall. The wall has a name: It is The System.
The System is supposed to protect us, but sometimes it takes on a life of its own, and then it begins to kill us and cause us to kill others
– coldly, efficiently, systematically. We made The System. We are all human beings, individuals transcending nationality and race and religion, fragile eggs
faced with a solid wall called The System. To all appearances, we have no hope of winning. The wall is too high, too strong – and too cold.
If we have any hope of victory at all, it will have to come from our believing in the utter uniqueness and irreplaceability of our own and others’ souls
and from the warmth we gain by joining souls together.
- When you’re young you have the impression that almost everything is known, but now I have this feeling that almost everything is unknown about mathematics. --- Richard Schwartz
- A good journalist makes good friends, the best journalists make none but one friend -- the truth. --- Modified from the following paragraphs by Duane Bradley in the book 《The Newspaper: Its Place in a Democracy》:
A good newsman, working for a good newspaper, takes great pride in being on the side of the truth against everything else. When a story breaks, his only concern is to get as much of the truth as accurately as possible, regardless of whose feelings may be hurt, whose prestige may be damaged, whose status may be raised, or who may write an indignant letter to the paper. A grocery-store clerk is not expected to quarrel with a customer, an insurance salesman does not wish to antagonize a client, a businessman does not want to quarrel openly with a rival. None of these considerations is supposed to deter a newsman in search of the truth. If the governor of the state is involved in a scandal, if the newsman’s best friend is accused of stealing from his employer, if a banker absconds with funds, this is news — and the news is more important than business or personal considerations. This is the reason for the saying, “A good newsman has no friends,” to which is often added "and no enemies".
- Complaints about publication pressure don’t help because this pressure is merely a symptom, not the disease.
The underlying problem is that science, like any other collective human activity, is subject to social dynamics.
Unlike most other collective human activities, however, scientists should acknowledge threats to their objective judgment
and find ways to avoid them. But this doesn’t happen. --- Sabine Hossenfelder
- What is the good of a newborn baby? --- Benjamin Franklin
- I think, therefore I am. --- Rene Descartes
- If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --- Albert Einstein
- Going in one more round when you don't think you can - that's what makes all the difference in your life. --- 《Rocky IV》, a 1985 movie
- Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. --- Albert Einstein
- He's twenty-six years old. Why does he need to have a unifying theme? Maybe he's going to be one of those people who's so talented he doesn't need one.
He'll take a question and he'll just answer it, and it'll be fine. --- Professor Nozick (talking about Steve Levitt)
- All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. --- Leo Tolstoy
- 「寧可一思進，莫在一思停。」 and 「見自己，見天地，見眾生。」--- 《一代宗師》, a 2013 movie
Some Academia-Related Articles
Imprint | Data Protection
- Intelligent (Short) Games
- Sports including Football, Snooker (Favourite Football Teams: Liverpool FC, Barcelona FC)